Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2019

London 1850 Story

 It's 1850, London, it is terrible. There's pollution everywhere, it's extremely overcrowded with tiny houses row after row. There's always the fear that Dylan (my younger brother), might fall ill from all the diseases passed around through unhygienic conditions. Around about three years ago my parents died of Cholera, I was devastated. Dylan was only 12 when it happened. It was a disastrous outbreak, all to blame on tainted water. Dylan is now 15, he's been doing alright, quite intelligent in my opinion. However, a few weeks ago he took in a dying cat, tried saving it, accidentally poisoned it. Typical Dylan, I say. Once he realized it was dead, he threw the biggest tantrum. You should've seen the tears. Before Dylan introduced his brand new but less than healthy cat to me, he pulled out a crumpled piece of paper advertising a new life in New Zealand. Quite a reality check, London's going to do no good for Dylan and me. So we got our tickets as fast as we could.

We board the boat paying extra expenses for a family room, instead of the crowded bunks with random strangers. I know Dylan won't have too much a rough time on this adventure, it was, after all, a 100-day journey across the ocean. Apparently, the food isn't too good on the old boat but once we get to New Zealand I'm sure everything will be better. Unfortunate for the people having to share rooms with each other, I just hope for their sake that none of them are ill or get ill anytime soon.

The nerves settle down a little but I'm getting restless, we've never been on a boat before. This is for the best though, there was nothing London could offer us. Startled by a sudden tip of the boat, Dylan sits up looking around to meet my eye. Worried, Dylan and I look out our window and we are less than happy with our results. Outside are raging seas and lightning flashing about. We hadn't thought about storms. Ignoring our stuff being scattered all around the room we rush back to the beds, hoping it will be okay.

It's been a week since we ran into the storm. Outside on the deck is a bit of a mess but it's being sorted. Expected by a 100-day trip, Dylan is noticeably agitated but he takes comfort in knowing we're halfway there. The rumors are true, the food is repulsive and occasionally unfit to eat. Although, it is better than nothing. Sadly, food isn't the only problem on this boat, many people sick from the storm and an unknown illness has spread. I'm so very glad to have made the purchase for a family room.


4 comments:

  1. At the start you could of just wrote 1850,London it's terrible but great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your story is pretty cool. I love your character names and I like how well you described everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyyyyyyyyyyyy Jordy I heart everything u wrote, its very interesting. I didn't really read everything but at least I had been reading half of it.
    Even half of it was an amazing start :) Love everything u wrote keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi wifey ;) your story is really good! I like the detail you went into when talking about how your character felt boarding the boat, and how you described the voyage. What's going to happen when they get to New Zealand? What did your character do for work back in London? Did Dylan work too?

    Good job Jordan!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.